Workshop and guidelines for young researchers interested in starting up their company
Sunday 14 May 2017 | 14:00 -16:50
Be an entrepreneur! – A workshop for curious scientists
12 aspects to be considered when starting up a company from your scientific background
Impulses – Discussion – Working in groups
The 2nd Green and Sustainable Chemistry Conference will provide the latest information in this field and be a source of excellent ideas. For some people it may be the first step in a fantastic scientific career at leading research institutes and universities all over the world. But there is also another group of people, namely those who believe that their work can also be the start of a new company.
Do you think you belong to this second group?
Then participate in this special workshop given by an experienced industry chemist who founded his own consultancy.
The workshop will discuss and work on topics which are completely different to a scientists’ daily work in the lab. The following relevant questions will be addressed:
- What is behind the buzzword “entrepreneurship“?
- Are my scientific results sufficient to start a company?
- Is my knowledge and my experience as scientist sufficient to be an entrepreneur?
- How can I find out whether I will be suited to found a company?
- Which leadership qualities are necessary to be finally successful?
- What is a business plan and what is a business model?
- Where do I find people who can help me?
- Do I need a team to found a company?
- Who is going to invest in my start-up?
- What are the bottlenecks I have never thought about?
14:05 Introduction: stimulus and questions
- Workshop part I – single task
- Presentation and discussion
Two success stories from chemists
15:45 Workshop part II
- Working in groups
- Presentation and discussion
Dos and don’ts: Recommendations from real life and not from books
16:40 Questions and summary
16:50 End of workshop
Who should attend?
Curious people with a bachelor, master or doctorate degree in science.
How may I participate?
Please send us an informal email answering the following questions:
- What are the three reasons why you should have the chance to participate in this unique workshop?
- Which entrepreneurial aspects are of interest to you which the university does not teach you?
- What is the question you never dared to ask your professor about an alternative career?
- If you have an idea regarding founding a company, tell us one or two sentences about it.
The workshop is limited to 18 attendees registered for the 2nd Green and Sustainable Chemistry Conference. If we have more than 18 applications the organiser will select people on the basis of incoming applications taking aspects of diversity into account.
Send your application by 1 May 2017 to Dr. Holger Bengs at email@example.com.
About Dr Holger Bengs
- Polymer chemist at universities in Hannover and Mainz
- Additional studies in economics, focus marketing
- Project manager biocatalysis at Hoechst AG / Aventis
- CEO at Germany´s GoingPublic and Venture Capital Magazine
- Founder and managing partner of BCNP Consultants GmbH, Frankfurt
- Publisher of the Compass to Europe´s Innovative Chemical Companies
- Various supporting positions, e.g. member of the board of trustees of “Nachrichten aus der Chemie” und “Chemie- und Ingenieurtechnik”
- Co-editor of the Xing-Group of the German Chemical Society (GDCh)